I hadn't planned on writing some other "how to fix shit in Windows 10" mail service, merely this affair has been annoying me for months. Fucking months.

I e'er set my Windows taskbar to machine-hide. I like it subconscious considering it just takes up screen existent estate that is better utilized in whatever program has focus. But, my taskbar car-hides for a while, and so merely stops. There isn't a valid case for it to do this equally some other program has focus; nothing is flashing on the taskbar; it just fucking stays there, significant that I can no longer see things like my source control options in the Visual Studio IDE, or the watches or breakpoints and a whole bunch of other things. Things that I would really fucking like to see, if only the stupid fucking taskbar wasn't just fucking sitting there. (Windows is smart in that maximized programs can get the visible "workspace" size, which excludes the taskbar if it is ever shown, and includes the infinite taken past the hidden taskbar, considering it's supposed to be, yous-know… hidden. So all the programs are behaving equally designed… That is Windows is "telling" them the work area includes the taskbar space because information technology is supposed to be hidden. Except information technology'southward not. In that location it is – on top of them.) It doesn't affair what I do… I can click all the programs on it i by one, maximize, minimize, restore, shout at them, beg them, fucking plead, smack my head confronting my desk, pray… Null works. That taskbar just sits there, mocking me as it were… "Nah nah-nah-nah na! Fuck you".

Long story short… Just kill and restart the explorer process. Y'all can use the built in Chore Director, or write a plan to do it, and come to think of it I exercise have source code for killing and resuming other processes, but the easiest thing to do is use Process Explorer, and but restart explorer.exe from there. Problem solved, at least until the taskbar decides to fuck around again…

Restart

This mail was brought to you past my frustration.

I accept this problem on my home and work machines, although it happens less oft on my home car. I have no thought if the problem is the explorer procedure itself, or some rogue program that "extends" it. (Probably badly written third party software. It nearly always is.) Ane thing that annoys me about Windows is it allows programs to be registered shell extensions, and that kind of development it not difficult to get wrong, such that you end up with rogue, badly written, misbehaving programs installed and invoked by the Windows trounce. It ever happens… The longer yous have a Windows installation, the more crap programs install themselves into the Windows shell. And it's non obscure software that'south guilty… Your average programmer who writes applications to be used in the office isn't going to package his or her software with 20 tray icons that do jack shit and beat extensions that fire every time y'all hover your mouse cursor over a directory… It'southward the pop software that does this. The shit that everybody installs. Otherwise I really like Windows 10.